Monday, December 20, 2021

The 2021 TQ Music Awards

This is a post about my favorite music, not my favorite television.

Welcome to my 11th annual Music Awards / year in review post.
[Previous Year End Reviews:2020201920182017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011]

I hate to admit it, but the largest reason I'm writing this is because I don't want to break the streak. This is the 11th year in a row I've written [whatever this is] and I'm confident that there are five people who read it. To four of you, thank you. I'm the fifth - because this doubles as my diary entry to help me remember. It's also worth nothing that the most important person in my life (my wife*) has no interest in reading these posts.
*2021 is the year I got married

Song of the Year:
"I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)" by  M Y   W I I I F E
[Runner up: “VACCINATED ATTITUDE" by Marc Rebillet]

If you were there, you know.

Meanwhile, Marc Rebillet is an incredibly fun personality I discovered from his viral video last year and think this song captured a very significant moment from my first half of 2021.


Album of the Year:
star-crossed by Kacey Musgraves
[Runner up: Planet Her by Doja Cat]
Is it bad that, in my opinion, the best album released in the year of my wedding was about a divorce? It is worse that if a war were to break out between Swifties and Grave Diggers for who is the better singer/songwriter of the duo I will be picking up a shovel despite knowing my wife is Delicate?

On the other end of of the energy spectrum is Doja Cat's album. A collection of songs best described by Kendall Roy. It was very tough to pick just one song for my Best of 2021 playlist.

By the way, I think I've peaked as far as how much new music I listen to in a given year. I've found myself more on playlists I've made of my favorite bands. Speaking of those favorites - I don't think the albums by My Morning Jacket and Beach House were their best efforts.

Concert of the Year:
My Morning Jacket at Auditorium Theatre
[Runner up: n/a]
If I had to pick any of my favorite bands to see first since *gestures to the entire world* - it would've been My Morning Jacket. It's also wonderful I was able to do it as #TeamHardTicket. They didn't disappoint in the least! 2022 looks to be a good rebound year as I've already got tickets multiple shows. Worth noting that I would've seen Tame Impala this past year, but they rescheduled their concert to a date I was unable to attend.

Song of the Summer:
"A Second to Midnight" by Kylie Minogue
[Runner up: "Leave The Door Open" by Silk Sonic

Song Discovered Thanks to a TV Show / Movie of the Year:
"We Love Each Other So Much" by Sparks (performed by Marion Cotillard & Adam Driver
[Runner up: NO RUNNER UP]
There is a movie you can watch on Amazon Prime Video titled Annette. I cannot recommend based on its intended qualities. That said, the song created an inside joke strong enough between my wife and I that it had a small role in our wedding day.

Thanks for listening.