|music related tweets of the year|
Song of the Year:
"Eye to Eye” by VARSITY
Full disclosure: I personally know the people in this group and have high personal opinions of each bandmate. Because of that, I gave this band a chance – but the reason why I keep listening to them is because of their quality. “Eye to Eye” was a song I loved when I first heard it released on Spotify and have loved it ever since. I’ve had the pleasure of hearing this song live in my favorite venue (Lincoln Hall), a crappy basement (that goes by “Flood House” as an apt nickname), and cool places I rank between the two (Schubas and Empty Bottle). It is eternally catchy.
[Runner up: “Here In Spirit” by Jim James]
Album of the Year:
Eternally Even by Jim James
[Runner up: Escapements by Beacon]
Concert of the Year:
My Morning Jacket at Red Rocks Amphitheater
[Runner up: Radiohead at Lollapalooza]
Song of the Summer:
"All Night" by Chance The Rapper
Cover of the Year (seen live):
"Pump Up The Jam" by El Vy (covering Technotronic)
I don't think I've been more happily surprised or danced more drunkenly in years.
[Runner up: "Closer" by Father John Misty (covering Nine Inch Nails)]
Becoming Too Big To Not Easily See Again:
Carly Rae Jepsen
I think the next time our Continental Treasure returns to town it will be in an arena. She certainly deserves it (there’s no “maybe” about it).
[Runner up: Bully]
Must Now See Every Time They’re In Town:
After years of barely missing tour stop after tour stop, I was in jeopardy of over-hyping the experience. Thankfully, Tame Impala met all my expectations and I can’t wait to see them again.[Runner up: Explosions in the Sky]
Regret of the Year:
Wasted tickets to Foals
Not only did I attend more shows than any other year, but it was also the year I ended up throwing away unused tickets to shows for multiple reasons. I think I pushed too hard this year, and don’t expect to go to as many shows in 2017 as a result.
[Runner up: Wasted tickets to Daughter / Special Mention: Not going to Beacon at Schubas]
Most Disappointing Album:
22, A Million by Bon Iver
Sorry gang, but I just couldn’t get into the sound that isn’t too different from the first two albums, but just not what I was hoping to hear at all.
[Runner up: Junk by M83 / Special Mention: Any album released only on Tidal]
Most Disappointing Concert:
Eagulls at Subterranean
I will have to really love this band’s next album to get me out to see them again. Their stage presence was nearly nonexistent.
[Runner up: Wicker Park Fest (storm cancelled)]
Guilty Pleasure Track of the Year:
"Panda" by Desiigner
Had way too much fun with this song this year.
[Runner up: "Juju On That Beat" by Zay Hilfigerrr]
Best Decision I made in 2016:
Trip to Red Rocks
[Runner up: Finally buying fancy Bose headphones]
"TQ's Best of 2016" playlist (from Spotify):
Miscellaneous music posts of the year (from li.st):
- MY FAVORITE SPREADSHEET
- MY FAVORITE SONGS OF ALL TIME
- MY FAVORITE SONGS FOR EACH YEAR I'VE BEEN ALIVE
- MY RESPONSES TO THE STATEMENT "ALL NEW MUSIC SUCKS / THEY DON'T MAKE GOOD MUSIC ANYMORE"
- THE NIGHT CHUMBAWUMBA KNOCKED ME DOWN (AND I DID *NOT* GET UP AGAIN)
- THE GHOST OF HARRIS WITTELS & MY FATHER JOHN MISTY TICKETS
- CRUSIN' FOR A SMOOCHIN' (MY MAKEOUT MIXTAPE, AVAILABLE ON SPOTIFY)
- "JUMPER" BY THIRD EYE BLIND IS THE POLITICAL ANTHEM OF 2016!
- THAT SIX MONTHS IN 1998 WHEN SWING MUSIC WAS *BACK*
- SUMMER IS COMING (MY SONGS OF THE SUMMERS' PAST ON SPOTIFY)
- BANDS ON MY TO-SEE-LIVE LIST
- OUR ATTEMPTS TO INVITE KEVIN DREW TO A MEXICAN AFTERSHOW PARTY
- MY MUSICAL JOURNEY WITH MY MORNING JACKET
- *YOUR* ALPHABET LISTS OF MUSICAL ACTS *YOU'VE* SEEN PERFORM LIVE
- 20 QUESTIONS ABOUT MUSIC
- THE CAPACITY OF MY 20 FAVORITE CHICAGO MUSIC VENUES (AND MY FAVORITE SHOW AT EACH PLACE)
- TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE SPOTIFY N00B
- TOP ALBUMS OF '16
- A RADIOHEAD PUN POEM OF ACHIEVEMENT
- BEST COVER SONGS I HEARD LIVE (2016)
- DISCO BALL QUESTIONS
- MY PROFILE ON TASTEBUDS
- WHAT YEAR WAS YOUR FIRST LOLLAPALOOZA?
- TIMES OF THE DAY I LOVE LISTENING TO MUSIC, RANKED
- MY FAVORITES FOLDER OF PLAYLISTS ON SPOTIFY
- EMOTIONS FELT AS I SOLD MY CARLY RAE JEPSEN TICKETS (AS DESCRIBED THROUGH TRACKS FROM "EMOTION")
- EDM ACTS INSPIRED BY TGIF SITCOMS
- HOW OFTEN I YELL "MORE HALL, MORE OATS" DURING MY BOWLING NIGHTS, WHERE I AM PART OF A TEAM
- 3 EASY TO CONSUME #P4KFEST MIXTAPES