|Jim James performing at Milwaukee's Pabst Theater on April 19, 2013|
First was the song's magnificent debut on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon...
Second, as the case with nearly every Song of the Year since I formally began awarding the informal title, I saw the song performed live (picture above).
There was an outside chance, in a year with new albums by some of my favorite due (Phoenix, Foals, Daft Punk, Franz Ferdinand, Arcade Fire) later in the year that it could change - but I feel comfortable calling it now.
I continue to build my Spotify playlist of my favorite songs, but I singled out 13 of them for my Top 13 of 2013's first half:
|Top 13 of 2013's First Half|
A few quick notes on these 13 tracks:
- Starred tracks indicate songs I've heard live (note: I have tickets for Phoenix later in the year, when I'll most likely hear "Entertainment")
- Pet Lions is an example of when I casually research the question, "who's opening tonight" and discover something much more
- If you liked Amy Winehouse, I can't recommend Jessie Ware highly enough: especially her Live Spotify Sessions if you have access to it
- Kacey Musgraves is not a typo - a bonafide country song has cracked this list for the first time ever
- Harlem Shake deserves to be on this list mainly because of Matt and Kim's fantastic effort