Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What did you give up for Lent?

Q: Who would you take a bullet for?
A: My sister.

(For Lent, I've decided to write 40 posts about people I love / made me who I am / thankful to know / appreciate)

This project is inspired by my sister.
One year, she decided to write 40 letters to people she loved. In a half assed version of that campaign, I'll be writing open posts about 40 people (or groups of people).

Which means the obvious start of this Lenten voyage is my beautiful sister.

Some of my friends are only children. They have openly commented on not understanding the sibling dynamic. It's true: it's impossible to explain.

One aspect of this relationship I will attempt to describe is how proud I am to be her brother. No question brings a smile to my face quicker than (said in an enthusiastic tone) "Oh, she's your sister?" Literally, by relation, I am better next to her. Her outstanding character lifts mine far above the immature shell most see. I don't know if her shoulders hurt, for she certainly carries me. Her strength, faith, and capacity for love pulls enough weight for both of us.

She can be rebuilding hurricane damaged homes while I'm getting felted in Vegas (true story).

I love her.
Something I used to do, whenever I was in her classroom - would find a stack of post-it notes and write, "don't forget your brother loves you" on one of the middle notes (to be exposed at some unknown future date). I haven't been to her newest school, and sadly it's been too long since I've conducted this brotherly stunt.

Volumes could be written here. I'll have to end this now - I'll have 39 more of these to write and don't want to set a precedent. Let me just close that no matter what you hear, my sister is underrated. It is impossible to completely understand how wonderful she is.