Sunday, February 5, 2012

What's that sound?

I've fallen deeper and deeper into the genre I lovingly call "techno pop." It's a label that nobody else would self apply, because it's a reference to how Maude Lebowski described a music group comprised of three Nihilists. But I see you're anxious for me to get to the point...

"EDM" seems to be the preferred nomenclature. Standing for "Electronic Dance Music" it can be applied to a vast array of music. For a while I've enjoyed Cut Copy - and most recently Holy Ghost and Washed Out, but Spotify has steered me further into this genre. Here are three examples:

Bag Raiders


Toro Y Moi


Miami Horror


Finally, I can't post without mentioning M83. By far, the most listened artist since joining Spotify on December 1. This is a party that's not too late to join! The breakout "Midnight City" track will easily make its way onto my Decade's Best list. (For the record - I would've made this statement even if Victoria's Secret didn't use it for a recent ad campaign).  Thankfully I was able to get tickets to their early May concert after the sold out show was moved to a larger venue. I recommend everyone also check out "Couleurs" but I will instead post the closing track from the recent Hurry Up, We're Dreaming double album because it was recently set to an amazing time lapse video shot at Yosemite National Park:


Yosemite HD from Project Yosemite on Vimeo.