Friday, July 15, 2011

What goes into an 11 hour playlist?

For the fourth year in a row, I have refreshed my iTunes playlist named "Lou'a'vul."  It's about a six hour drive from door to door, and I stuck with the past strategy of whole albums with a few Lebowski inspired songs along the way.


  • It starts with "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" by The Sons of the Pioneers. This is the song that opens The Big Lebowski. A no-brainer for Achievers followed by "Lookin' Out My Back Door" by Creedence Clearwater Revival. CCR is a must for a Lebowski-minded mixtape.




  • Next up are both the In Rainbows and King of Limbs (including the "Supercollider" & "The Butcher" add ons) albums in their entirety.  These are the two most recent studio efforts by Radiohead.




  • After two full albums I'll remind myself why I'm in the car with "The Man in Me" by Bob Dylan. This is arguably, the most iconic song tied to The Big Lebowski followed immediately by "Hotel California (Spanish Mix)" by Gipsy Kings. Ya kinda need to have seen The Big Lebowski at least twice to know why this song is on there. It don't matter to Jesus!




  • After those two tracks, I'll be in full Achiever spirit, and ready to get caught up on the two most recent episodes of the Lebowski Podcast.




  • My Morning Jacket will then finally make their much deserved appearance.  There are too many reasons to include this band. MMJ was the first band to perform at a Lebowski Fest. They are from Louisville.  Shortly after their latest release I created an all-MMJ mixtape featuring my favorite tracks from their four most recent albums:



  • MMJ mixtape


  • Before getting back into an album focus, one more reference to the film: "Just Dropped In - To See What Condition My Condition Was In" by Kenny Rodgers and the First Edition. I'd say you'd need at least 4 viewing of The Big Lebowski to know why this song belongs here.




  • The entire Civilian album by Wye Oak. 




  • The entire Pickin' Up The Pieces album by Fitz & The Tantrums





  • The entire Veckatimest album by Grizzly Bear




  • The entire Kaputt album by Destroyer




  • The entire This Is Happening album by LCD Soundsystem




  • The entire Cloak and Cipher album by Land of Talk



  • The entire XX album by The xx



  • (the back half the playlist is intentionally devoid of Lebowski as it's intended for the return home, and playing Creedence will probably make me start feeling sad that the next Fest is a year away)
    Okay, time to get to sleep - I'm hitting the road as soon as I can tomorrow morning.  I'll be on the road less than ten minutes after I get out of bed - "You didn't think I was rollin' out of here naked, did ya?"