Saturday, July 9, 2011

What made my Best of 2011 [so far] Mixtape?

Best of 2011 [so far]
Every year I love creating a Best of [year] Mixtape playlist in iTunes.  Around this time of year I check in to see how many tracks made it through the nomination process of getting dropped into consideration and make a mixtape for the year's midpoint.  The tracks are not listed in order of preference - there is no ranking with one* exception:

*"Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster The People is the current Song of the Year for me.  Quite honestly, I don't know how any song can find my ears before this year's end with a story better than what vaulted this one to the top of the list.

If you care to hear any of the other selections, below are links.  If you would like a copy of this mixtape for yourself, please let me know.

1. My favorite song from the latest album of my favorite band
2. My favorite song from the latest album of a top 5 band
3. The best song from an album that, at the time, was cheaper than a gallon of gas
4. (see above)
5. A welcome return to form from a Scandinavian favorite
6. Not only a good track, these guys deserve more credit for finally getting me to Smart Bar
7. A standout track from an otherwise disappointing album
8. Why thank you iTunes for a free SXSW sampler
9. Probably the best new band I stumbled across this year [so far]
10. Immediately after hearing this song for the first time I thought - Phoenix 2.0?
11. Justin reclaims his throne as King of Beardy Folk
12. The ubiquitous "Thank God for NPR's All Songs Considered Podcast" discovery