Sunday, December 17, 2023

The 2023 TQ Music Awards

Welcome to my 13th annual Music Awards / year in review post.
[Previous Year End Reviews: 202220212020201920182017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011]

Last year I said I was officially over the hill because both my annual playlist and that my minutes on Spotify were less from the prior year. Sadly, that trend has continued in 2023. However, there is another metric that has increased for two years now, which gives me hope... the increased influence that the Eurovision Song Contest has in my annual post!

Song of the Year: “Tattoo” by Loreen
[runner up: “Cha Cha Cha” by Käärijä]
Yes - my top two tracks of the year are the top two vote getters in this year's Eurovision Song Contest. I had a blast watching Eurovision live (on Peacock!) this year and have had both songs in my Best Of playlist ever since. If I ever find myself in a karaoke bar in Sweden - I'm going with "Tattoo!"




Album of the Year: That! Feels Good! by Jessie Ware
[runner up: My Soft Machine by Arlo Parks
Jessie Ware has had a handful of albums, but her latest effort is arguably the best.  At first she was positioned as the next Amy Winehouse - but I think she's more a hybrid between Winehouse and Janelle Monae. That! Feels Good! is a timeless pop album that feels at home in a speakeasy or junior high dance. 

Concert of the Year: Explosions in the Sky at Ryman Auditorium
[runner up: Adam Pally at The Den Theatre]

More than a decade after I wrote down "See a show at the Ryman Auditorium" on my Bucket List - I crossed it off in September! My wife and I had a great long weekend in Nashville that was punctuated by seeing one of my favorite bands: Explosions in the Sky. It was perfect. Even my wife was "having a great time" at it.
Song of the Summer: "Cha Cha Cha" by Käärijä
[runner up: "Slut Me Out" by NLE Choppa]

Song Discovered Thanks to a TV Show / Movie of the Year: “Like An Eagle” by Dennis Parker (used in The Curse on SHO)

Regret of the Year: Missed shows

2023 is a year I'd like to forget, full stop. My concert going this past year is in line with that sentiment. I had tickets to as many acts (LCD Soundsystem, Jamie xx, Phoenix, Beck) as I saw (Explosions in the Sky, The National, Soccer Mommy).

Best Decision I made in 2022: The Nashville Weekend

Thank you very much for reading (or listening).