Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Can you rescue an out of focus picture?

Delorean @ Lincoln Hall. April 2011
For the most part, I don't understand why people spend money on a concert ticket to watch more than half of the show through their cell phone camera (or video camera).  It's a fault I too am somewhat guilty of because I just want one picture of my own per show (often leading to multiple attempts to try to get the right shot).  At almost every venue, there are multiple professional photographers taking high quality pictures with more skill and with better equipment.  For example, I always hope there's a representative from Lost In Concert present whenever I happen to be.

The iPhone, at least my 3GS model, is an overrated camera.  It's primary benefit is that it eliminates having to bring another electronic device to concerts.  But one of the following usually exists to make my pictures unsuccessful: I'm a long distance away, the tight crowd around me limits my ability to stabilize, the subject is not a statue.

The National @ UIC Pavilion. April 2011
Which is why I've come to throw any picture I take at a show through crazy filters on my Instagram app.  It's a free app for anybody too cheap to spend $2 for Hipstamatic.  A lot of photographers (for example ones from Lost In Concert) loathe these apps.  Their disgust is very reasonable and understandable.  However, to argue in favor of these apps, I don't think it's a threat to their livelihood.  At least from my pictures there isn't any competition from me.  Nobody is going to rely on an iPhone for any important event in which a professional photographer is needed.  These gimmicks, while they are certainly such, are increasing the interest in taking photos - which is a good thing.

Of course, I can't imagine how insulting it must be for any film taught photographer who spent a career crafting compositions and distorting images though tedious and careful developing techniques.
Arcade Fire @ UIC Pavilion. April 2011