Thursday, May 13, 2010

What's the dumbest thing you've said recently? (again)

Q: Is this one as harmless as the last time?
A: Oh no - it's a total foot in my mouth moment of the early month.

Yikes.

Ok, so I've had a pretty long streak of misinterpreting what people have been saying digitally lately. So when a facebook - let's just say acquaintance (because I don't think I can go as far as call her a "friend") - posted something as a new status I wanted to comment.

I really don't know why I chose this moment to comment on her page for the first time. We've been "connected" on facebook for about six months (all of which comment free).

Her status update was basically saying that she doesn't want to have to apologize for hating the Los Angeles Lakers. I responded with the gigantic hydrogen bomb of course. Frantically typing that all she had to do, when arguing with a Lakers fan about why you hate the Lakers, is to mention two words: Eagle, Colorado. I didn't stop there - solidifying my comment that a Laker fan would know instantly what was meant, and it would be a silencer. And if the Kobe-Katastophe wasn't instantly recognized, the argument wasn't worth her time.

Minutes later she deleted my comment.

Reading the other comments after mine, like the one about how her son is a Lakers fan, made me realize how lighthearted she intended her status to be. Wow, I felt so intensely horrible. I instantly wrote her a personal message of apology.

This isn't the first time I've gone on a full force attack on Facebook. It's probably the fourth of fifth time I've done it in fact. Maybe I should hire a censor - or at the very least a screener.