Sunday, May 2, 2010

What's happening?

Q:What's happening now?
A: You know a lotta ins, a lotta outs, a lotta what-have-yous.

On Thursday Night Kick Tan Laundry (the second, and for the record last, kickball team I will captain) won ten to zero in a slaughter rule shortened game. The team is really coming together well. I can't wait until next season when I'll be able to enjoy just being a player and not the organizer. We've won two in a row now, and the bar we go to before and after loves us. They should: we increase their business some 400%.

Friday morning I asked my friend, who I had planned on seeing Los Campesinos! that night with at Metro, if his girlfriend wanted my ticket. He quickly told me that his other friend would like to go, but was sad that I was backing out. Truth be told, if that was a 9 PM show, I would've gone. But with it being a 7 PM start, I would have to go straight from my office to the show. The last three weeks, and these next three, is the most important time for my role at my company. It's a pressure cooker. Not only did I end up working late again on Friday, the week exhausted me.

That Friday night was spent playing video games. It was a relaxing night indeed. (If you must know, this is the game I purchased) The real story of this video game is how I bought it. I've had a VAIO laptop doing nothing but collecting dust in my closet for over three years now. I bought my iMac the day I moved into my condo and never gave it a second thought. With Earth Day the week prior, I was looking into recycling options for it. The nearby Sony Style store gave me $59 for it. Thankfully they don't know I would've been happy with $15!

Saturday was a beautiful day, but for a few reasons I didn't swing a golf club that day. It's okay, because it looks like the sun is out long enough now for after work golf! The biggest regret on Saturday involved a movie I watched. I had agreed to watch The Big Lebowski with a special lady friend. She has only seen parts [anyway]. But we decided to see what was available "instantly" on NetFlix and picked a bad movie instead. The worst part is that NetFlix gave me a "pan and scan" version to watch. If you are like me, and abhor that format, wait until you see it on a widescreen television. The "reverse letterbox" effect was the visual equivalent to nails on a chalkboard.

Earlier today (Sunday) I saw my family who had recently came back from Fort Wayne, Indiana? What's there you may ask? Two words: Vera Bradley. Need more than two words?

If you're like me, you can't explain this if given an infinite amount of words. The reason why people would drive hours to a rented out sports arena in the middle of America to buy discounted purses will forever be outside my realm of comprehension. I would understand it if the brand had a little more power. But "Vera Bradley?" What? Who?

The, correction: my, most anticipated album of 2010 is released this week. Since I pre-ordered the album off the band's website I was able to download it an hour ago (along with a second B-Sides album). I'm referring to "Forgiveness Rock Record" by Broken Social Scene. My favorite track is called Texico Bitches.

There's been a lot of chatter on Facebook about privacy invasion. I recommend the following article: http://librarianbyday.net/2010/04/protect-your-privacy-opt-out-of-facebooks-new-instant-personalization-yes-you-have-to-opt-out/. There's also a site called Spokeo that might have you on their grid. Removing your name is easy - scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Privacy." The steps to remove your listing are simple, although a bit scary. I had to give them an e-mail. Ladies and Gentleman, this is why you should have multiple e-mail addresses.

I actually need a third e-mail address. One that's gotta be super off the grid. Yes, I understand the contradiction in having an e-mail address off a grid. My two email addresses were very simple, yet my logic (like most of the time) is flawed. If you are my friend, you have my actual e-mail address. If you are a potential employer or girlfriend, you got the other. And if I was buying tickets off Craigslist - you earned as much trust as those romantic interests.

Over on the other blog I write, I penned an open letter to someone who I don't know personally. This is a fun exercise concept that I think I will make a theme for the next few weeks over there. It's an idea that I will quickly admit to being stolen from friend's classmate turned blogger turned author turned awesome Brad Listi.

That should bring you up to speed (if you care).
Hope you're doing well.