Friday, January 23, 2009

What are you listening to now?

Q: Aren't you about due for a mixtape?
A: Constantly.

I've decided to make another mixtape for a good friend who's volunteered to drive me to my 30th birthday party this Saturday. Although the mixtape will be tangibly his to do as he pleases, and it will be a show of appreciation, the mixtape is in its heart a selfish act. This is, for whatever below reasons, what I am listening to right now.

1. "Party Life" by Jay-Z
-I can't think of a better track to get us ready.

2. "
Streets On Fire" by Lupe Fiasco
-Rolling in my pal's Altima into the city proper

3. "
Flashing Lights" by Kanye West Featuring Dwele
-Blame the recent nip/tuck commercials for getting this song into a recent playlist

4. "
The People" by Common Featuring Dwele
-I just get a kick out of having this song always follow the one previous in my iPod

5.
"Young Folks" by Peter Bjorn And John
-2007's song of the year always seems to get me to a feeling of "center"

6. "
Pacific Theme" by Broken Social Scene
-The song I'm playing when on my scheduled breaks of jury duty due to it's inexplicable way of simultaneously calming me down while getting me excited

7. "
Something for All of Us" by Brendan Canning
-Need to fill the Canadian quota

8. "
In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins
-I don't think a reason is needed for this song - ever

9. "You're the Best" by Joe "Bean" Esposito
-The song I want played at my wedding, or any major life event

10. "
Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" by McFadden & Whitehead
-It's my birthday and I'm going to add a cheesy 70s song if I want to

11. "
Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand
-Back and stronger than ever (in 2004, about the time of the above picture, this song was on every mixtape by LAW)

12. "Flux" by Bloc Party
-Just bought tickets to see this band, again, and this is from their latest release

13. "
Midnight Show" by The Killers
-Everybody seems to agree that The Killers are a guilty pleasure

14. "
Star Guitar" by Chemical Brothers
-An ode to my frequent jury duty commutes via rail

15. "Days Go By (Radio Edit)" by Dirty Vegas
-Mitsubishi had it right: excellent driving tune

16. "
By the Time I Get Home There Won't Be Much of a Place for Me" by Grand National
-Ending it with irony