Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Which [Chicago] celebrity death will be our Michael Jackson?

Q: Who's money are they spending?
A: Today's post is brought to you by the current song of the moment: "Unstoppable featuring Santogold & Lil Wayne" by Drake

I was in the barber shop this evening.
Michael Jackson coverage was on the television.
My barber, Roy, made a mention about how much money it must be costing the city of Los Angeles to provide all the police support.

I responded that I would hope that a city with that many celebrities would understand about celebrity mania in America and plan accordingly. That they shouldn't be surprised that public security would be needed for a well-known's death.

Furthermore, I said... "Chicago will look like that when Michael Jordan dies."
Then I thought a bit, and corrected myself.

"Actually, Oprah's death will probably be a much larger scene... Maybe even larger than this [Michael Jackson crowd]."

Silently I thought that there could be a third candidate most likely to bring Chicago to a crawl when their live ends... I actually think that's the right response.

Who's death do you think will be larger than Michael Jackson?
Who's death will make the scene in L.A. pale in comparison to what Chicago may look like?
Who's death will dominate more media?

a) Michael Jordan
b) Oprah Winfrey
c) Barrack Obama