Sunday, May 20, 2007

Your Secret


Somebody at work asked me if I've read The Secret. I instantly responded, "I convinced myself that I had read it."

This obviously put the person in their place.

People are still reading that book. Don't ask me why. Everybody wants to be brainwashed? Don't understand.

I had a good friend e-mail me asked me if I had seen the film The Secret. Supposedly she gave it to her Mother for this past Mother's Day. I bad part of me thinks that might have been a typo - that she is in fact referring to the book. This would go along with her recent claim that I am being too negative with my thoughts...

Not wanting to pick a fight - which would only support her theory - I left that comment fall by the wayside.

Today NBC aired the end of their National Heads Up Poker Championship (I'm six weeks away from Vegas by the way!). Shannon Elizabeth had a majestic run to the semifinals. yeah, that's Shannon Elizabeth the actress:


She's really taken an interest in competitive poker.


I found that respectable - and I all but forgotten her film credits. Until she cited The Secret as to why she's playing so well as of late.

Am I alone here? Does anybody realize that the heart of the book is about selfishness? I feel so strongly about this - I almost want to read it just to knock it (Similar to how I watch The Sopranos - only to curse it.)

Yes, I'm negative. Yes, I realize that can be a drag on others. Yes, I use that positive term in a sarcastic cynicism more and more.

Oh, and I fully expect to get e-mails from pro-secret people... but if you honestly believe it, don't pick a fight with me... Just convince yourself that you already told me off and made your best arguments to a dumbfounded TQ.