Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What music will fill an 11 hour solo car trip?


Q: How long is the drive to Louisville?
A: About five and a half hours.

Understatement of the evening: I like The Big Lebowski.
Many adjectives have been used (by others) to describe the above statement.
Just to let you know, I've been blowing up the other blog I write as of late.
The official blog of LebowskiFest.com is viewable here and here.
I try to keep the two separate, because reading the posts here already give you a demented view into my life... Adding my love of Lebowski will only complicate matters.

But, nonetheless, know that I'll be driving to Louisville this weekend for the 9th Annual Lebowski Fest. This will be my 3rd Louisville Fest and 5th overall (the other two, and soon a third in September, were in Chicago). But that's besides the point of this post. The long drive means a new mammoth length mixtape!



My "Lou'a'vul" mixtape consists of 100 tracks and 2 podcasts, for a total running time of 8.8 hours. Not quite enough for the round trip, but it'll do as I'll probably pause it during the LIVE LEBOWSKI LUNCH HOUR.

  • It starts with the entire Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix album. I think the bang-bang opening tracks of "Lisztomania" and "1901" are exactly what I'll need circa 7:30 AM this Friday.
  • "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" by The Sons of the Pioneers. This is the song that opens The Big Lebowski. A no-brainer for Achievers.
  • The entire Funeral album by Arcade Fire. This absolute gem of Mountie Rock is available this month on Amazon for only $5!
  • "The Man in Me" by Bob Dylan. This is arguably, the most iconic song tied to The Big Lebowski.
  • The entire In Ghosts Colours album by Cut Copy. I'll want to listen to something dancey during the first hour of Indiana. Also, and more importantly, I'll be listening to it in anticipation of seeing Cut Copy's Metro show next month.
  • "Hotel California (Spanish Mix)" by Gipsy Kings. Ya kinda need to have seen The Big Lebowski at least twice to know why this song is on there. It don't matter to Jesus!
  • NPR's All Songs Considered podcast from last week called "Summer Music Preview." I've been saving this for the car ride. It'll be a nice change of pace to have a show in this mixtape.
  • NPR's All Songs Considered podcast from this week. It's a normal episode from Bob Boilen and the gang. Hopfully I'll be past Indianapolis by then, it'll be a good halfway point NPR break in my drive.
  • My Morning Jacket's album It Still Moves. There are too many reasons for this album to be included. MMJ was the first band to perform at a Lebowski Fest. They are from Louisville. I've seen them live and will be seeing them again next month at Northerly Island!
  • "Lookin' Out My Back Door" and "Run Through the Jungle" by Creedence Clearwater Revival. CCR is a must for a Lebowski-minded mixtape. These are the two songs heard during the film.
  • My Morning Jacket's album Z. The reasons remain the same. This is my favorite album of theirs.
  • "Just Dropped In - To See What Condition My Condition Was In" by Kenny Rodgers and the First Edition. I'd say you'd need at least 4 viewing of The Big Lebowski to know why this song belongs here.
  • The entire Attack Decay Sustain Release album by Simian Mobile Disco. The first people that I met at a Louisville Fest were Dan and Tara. The two of them are now engaged and won't be attending this year's Fest (they're saving to fund their wedding). I haven't heard any of this album yet, I bought it based on Tara's recommendation. She's been known to have excellent tastes in music.
  • Beach House's 2010 album Teen Dream. I bought this album recently after it appeared on NPR's Listeners Pick 2010's Best Music (So Far). I've only heard it a few times so far and like it.
  • Forgiveness Rock Record by Broken Social Scene. My vote for album of 2010 (so far). Not that you need a reason for anything BSS, but you can file this under 2010 Concert Prep as well.
And there you have it.
Happy listening / happy trip.

This time, without any speeding tickets.