Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Snow Day: Part 1 of 2 [Coworker Giddy]

An e-mail from the head of HR announced the company's procedures of shutting down the office due to inclement weather. The vast majority of my surrounding coworkers met the news with a slight sense of, for lack of a better term, giddiness. I instantly interpreted it as False Hope. I do not know what a company, that is open every day after Thanksgiving, would interpret as "inclement."

However, false hope feels the same as real hope.

For the first time in in the condo, I slept with the room darkening shades half-drawn. This was to afford me the opportunity to catch a glimpse of any inclement weather at first eyeshot. It didn't look too bad, and I went to fire up the shower. And even in my deranged shattered hope I checked the company's website to confirm that I had to go back and step in the shower and get ready.

I'm not sure what prompted me to call the phone number set up by the company, to check if there was a message alerting employees of a building closure - but I did it anyway as a last ditch effort before I headed to work. After a quick check back to the website and logging onto my work e-mail it was confirmed: SNOW DAY.

After a few justified giddy cell phone calls to coworkers I headed back to sleep.