Thursday, April 9, 2009

How can you summarize nine years plus more?

Q. Do you know that I graduated first in my class?
A. From St. Alphonsus School (class size = 10 kids)

(For Lent, I've decided to write 40 posts about people I love / made me who I am / thankful to know / appreciate)

I was baptized at St. Al's
Spent the Sundays of my youth in the peu for 9 am mass.
Four years as an altar boy.
My school jerseys from the basketball team are hanging on my living room wall.
After nine years (kindergarten trough 8th grade) it did it's best to prepare me for high school.
Now able to sleep in, I'd go to 10:30 or noon mass.
The new church, with new mass times, now gets me there by 11 am.
Most Wednesday nights, you'll see me playing basketball in their newer gym.

The above list is how I've selfishly benefited from St. Alphonsus Parish in Prospect Heights. I'm not as active as most in the Parish - but I've seen it do great things for many people. Many people are against organized religion (with just cause). Personally, with what I have seen, I still see many examples of where it works.