Saturday, April 4, 2009

When you are raised by a teacher, how can you evaluate the educators of your life?

Q. Who got me through high school?
A. The English Faculty of John Hersey High School

(For Lent, I've decided to write 40 posts about people I love / made me who I am / thankful to know / appreciate)

On Ash Wednesday I sat down and made a list of the 40 subjects of this project.
The task was very difficult.
It's also very moving, at least it was to me, and I'd recommend that everybody make a list of 40 people you are thankful to have in your life.
Even if you don't ever do anything with it, it's a process that makes you happy to be alive.

There was a time, however, in which I was not happy to be alive.
Those were the years I spent in high school.
And when I wrote down this list of 40, I had to include this group.
I would not have graduated with my class if it wasn't for them.
That department "got me"
I loved learning from them.

It will have to be under "TQ is now ultra famous and has been petitioned by the entire school to speak" circumstances for me to walk down those hallways again. I do want to show many of those teachers how I turned out... and I want to - as corny as it sounds - thank them personally.