Friday, April 10, 2009

Where did I learn to live?

Q. What was the source of your largest investment?
A. Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

(For Lent, I've decided to write 40 posts about people I love / made me who I am / thankful to know / appreciate)

You all had to have seen this one coming. The four years I spent attending MU starting in the Fall of 1998 to my graduation in 2002 have shaped my life more-so than any other epoch. My "college life" was far from the typial fare that fuel MTV reality-based programming - which is the reason why I look back so fondly at my time there.

Don't bother telling me a story involving you getting drunk at that frat party when you almost banged whatshertits. That's not interesting. Then again, my stories of marathon duration (to us) evenings of two-on-two basketball involving players of lesser than average calibur would only be interesting to the other three involved.

Here's a brief list of what I've taken with me since Milwaukee:
-An unhealthy devotion to an at best above medicore basketball program.
-A degree in Marketing I believe helped separated me from others in applying for the new position I applied for 2 years ago.
-A network of friends that I still keep in (varying degrees of) contact.
-Many gold t-shirts.
-A really nice leather basketball I will never bounce outside a gym.
-An I.D. card that I still keep in my wallet (people like seeing the 1998 mugshot).
-The knowlege of what a bubbler is, although I won't ever call one such.
-A prefrence to Frozen Custard over Ice Cream.
-A habit to check the Journal Sentinal's website.
-A love affair with Milwaukee County Buses.

There's more, but you get the point.
I went to John Hersey High School.
John Hersey was an author.
He has a quote painted in the school's main hallway.
To paraphrase that quote, "A school not so much a place to learn about past lives, it's about a place to learn how to live your own life."

Although that quote was in my high school, it was my college that is the better example.