Monday, April 6, 2009

What happens when the doctor / patient lines gets blurred?

Q. Hippa what?
A. Dr. J

(For Lent, I've decided to write 40 posts about people I love / made me who I am / thankful to know / appreciate)

When you are 14 years old, you don't choose your doctor.
It's whoever your parent drives you to when you get sick.
This is how I met Dr. J...
I needed a physical before my freshman year of high school.
It was to allow me the massive humiliation of trying out for a basketball team that I had no prayer of ever making.

Since that day in 1993, Dr. J has since joined my church.
I've seen him on Sunday mornings with his wife and daughters.
My sister knows the family well too.
Dr. J is also my Father's doctor.
And when I see Dr. J he always asks about my family... We joke that all of us are breaking privacy laws - but we will tell Dr. J if our father is not watching his diet and exercising like Dr. J wants him to....

This post, however, needs to be more than just about Dr. J... I am just choosing him to represent all the doctors that I have been in front of when my health has been worse than it is now.

And I'm thankful to all of them that I am now in better health than when I was in front of them.