Saturday, June 13, 2009

What's your favorite Saturday afternoon movie?

Q: Are movies sometimes better with commercials?
A: Welcome to a lazy Saturday.

UPDATE IN NEWS NOBODY CARES ABOUT:
I cleaned my kitchen floor today.

Gotta love movies on commercial television on Saturdays.
Spike ran Kill Bill Vol.1 & 2 back to back.
And as I write this, TNT is showing Hitch.

Hitch is such a wonderful film.
The kind you can just watch and watch.
Nobody knew Kevin James could bring it the way he did.
And now he's box office gold - even when he stars as a mall cop.

Last week I remember another classic lazy watch:
Cocktail


The thing with lazy Saturday viewings - you can really get a lot of work done during those commercial breaks.
Pay bills.
Clean up a bit.
Check a recent fantasy baseball trade.
Research what the concert shirts will look like, to defuse the "first look" adrenalin that can lead to a impulse purchase...

Growing up, I didn't have cable, and that seriously restricted the wealth of pop culture movie knowledge I could share in friendly conversations. I'd like to think that it's at a level now it wasn't back then. Because today you can catch solid fare on Spike, USA, TNT, AMC, A&E (showing Independence Day... again!) without having to invest in the HBO like offerings.

So now I'll be leaving in less than an hour for a much anticipated concert.
Maybe I should turn off Hitch at the next commercial?
It's gonna be tough to walk away from it.