Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Where is / What is / Who are... Phoenix?


Q: What do kids do when they can't figure out how to start a report?
A: Start it with cheesy definitions

Phoenix
1. A city in Arizona, known for many things. For example a community that former NBA all-star Charles Barkley calls home:

2. A mythical bird that is born out of fire (more or less):


3. A band from France:

I'll stop here, before I get into various dead or disappointing actors.

These guys first got on my radar in 2001, when their song "If I Ever Feel Better" was featured on a bonus CD that came with a Fatboy Slim album.

Six years later, songs from their next album, It's Never Been Like That, appeared on a mixtape from a coworker... And that's when I really started paying closer attention to them.

The track "North" began to make its way on playlist after playlist on my iPod. It's one of the few songs I've given the max star rating.

By the time late 2008 came around, I was now checking websites to see when the new album would be released and hoping they'd tour to support it.

At a friend's place the Saturday night they were to appear on Saturday Night Live, I was rather adamant about making sure we all see the performance (even though I was the only one in the room aware of them at the time).

I bought Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix the day it "dropped."
I bought tickets to see them live the day they first day they went on sale.

To say I'm looking forward to their show at the Park West this Saturday, would be an understatement.