Saturday, June 27, 2009

Who else died last Thursday?

Q: Is the death of Michael Jackson making people not recognize the death of Farrah Fawcett?
A: No.

John Callaway is dead.
He actually died Tuesday night, before Michael and Farrah - but I didn't know this until after I had already heard the Jackson and Fawcett news.
Strangely, it was this IMDB article that informed me.

For the record, of these three people, Callaway, Jackson & Fawcett: only John Callaway won the Peabody Award.

Back in my early formative years, this Chicago newsman had a large presence in my family's household. Especially before my parents had access to Cable Television, they turned to PBS for news. His time as the anchor of WTTW's Chicago Tonight usually caused my prime time television watching to be delayed a half hour nearly every weeknight.

My Dad once ran into Callaway in downtown Chicago. Now that I'm remembering it, it might have been 20 years ago. It was the focal point of the usual "What did you do today?" stories that were a regualar fixture of our family weekday dinner table conversations. I remember how my Dad was quick, polite and respectful in his approch of Callaway. I don't remember his exact words, but I think my Dad only complimented Chicago Tonight- saying that his family enjoys watching it...

There isn't a national flood of attention to remember John Callaway, but I don't think he's being remembered any less from those that admired him.
People like my Father won't break a stride living in a world without Michael Jackson.
People like my Mother won't think twice about the loss of Farrah Fawcett.
But people like my parents, who depended upon people like John Callaway for a nightly news fix before it became a 24 hour news cycle circus - know of this passing, and will mourn approriately.