Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Does The Coriolis Effect get you spinning?

Q: What label can we affix to the Australian Dance Scene?
A: I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough.

Ladies and Gentleman, here's a nice little song called "Since I Left You" by The Avalanches.

You all know by now that I love the term "Mountie Rock."
I am purposely pushing forward my agenda by mentioning it constantly here.
Maybe one day it will come up in a Google Search.
The hidden reason behind why I like that label is because assigning music the "indie rock" distinction feels as dumb as "alternative" felt like in the mid 90s.

Now we have a new genre that needs labeling.
It's a subset that had way too many variations.
Please ask somebody more in tune than I to help you distinguish between:
Dance
Club
Trance
House
Trip Hop
2 Step
Drum & Bass
Big Beat
Electronic

I almost went to a DJ Set by Basement Jaxx last Friday. I was on the phone asking a friend if he wanted to join me. He asked, "What kind of music is it?" My mind was cycling through the above list of classes and came up empty. I ended up not going to the show.

For this new genre I want to name, I'll use the similar geographical qualifications.
Turns out I'm enjoying the upbeat high tempo music coming out of Australia.

It all started when iTunes picked a Cut Copy song for one of it's weekly free Discovery Downloads ("Sands of Time" is their latest song that I'm enjoying). I liked it, and signed up for a newsletter in order to download another one of their songs for free (the excellent "Hearts on Fire" track). The e-newsletter was from their record label: Modular.

That led me to Modcast, their free podcast featuring their other artists.
Most of the acts also being Down Under Dance Machines*.

My pursuit to embed myself into the Great Barrier Beat* peaked with the Cut Copy show I saw in March 2009. A show that made me hunt down Craigslist tickets after it had sold out.

Lately I've found more Sydney Synth* and Melbourne Melody* acts such as The Satellites, The Presets and Ladyhawke. You can expect to have more of their catchier songs featured in upcoming posts.

The problem is that no name that I come up with is sticking to my mind. I'm really starting to like this genre more and more - and what good am I at parties when someone asks me what I've been listening to recently and I'm unable to have a self invented musical distinction? I need a quick catchy title that will make people want me to expand. But maybe I should give up and just say coldly, "I've been listening to a lot of music from Australian born artists."

*These are all the horrible candidates floating in my head.

I think I'm just going to call it Coriolis Effects.