Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Do you like haberdashery?


Q: Haberdashery?
A: Yeah, I used to think I knew what it meant.

Oh crap, I think I've been using the term "haberdashery" wrong.
Wanting to include an official definition of one of my more favorite words, I looked it up and was a little surprised:

#1 Thanks for nothing Merriam-Webster (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/haberdashery)
#2 (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/haberdasher)

Main Entry: hab·er·dash·er
Pronunciation: \ˈha-bə(r)-ˌda-shər\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English haberdassher, from modification of Anglo-French hapertas kind of cloth
Date: 14th century

1 British : a dealer in notions
2 : a dealer in men's clothing and accessories

As recently this last Saturday I said, while wearing one of the above pictured visors, "I'm a big fan of activity based haberdashery."

I was under the previous assumption that I was referring to headwear.
But my new understanding of the proper definition is more encompassing.
Regardless, my statement is not hypocritical.
If you've seen me at a poker table, I have more "accessories" than chips
(visor, sunglasses, earphones, and I'll also consider my repertoire of chip tricks)

My post is starting to derail.
Look, I like hats.

It comes from my Father (big hat lover)
Now he's got good cause, his baldness, to appreciate hats.
Especially in the summertime, it's a necessity for him.
One of my earliest, fondest, memories of him is coming home from work wearing his three piece suit, overcoat, and an awesome fedora.

I used to have an immense amount of Starter brand caps.
Not just local teams. I was fully invested in the Teal Craze that inhibited sports logos of the early 90s from San Jose to Charlotte.

The latest personal trend for me are visors.
I recently bought my 5th visor.

In order of purchase:
Top Left: Bought on my second trip to Vegas after falling in love with "The Wynn Property"
Top Right: Needed a new "poker visor" and wear this most often when I play cards.
Bottom Left: Jokingly bought in the Vegas airport after a flight delay - I wear it usually if I'm dealing (but not playing) cards.
Bottom Center: A clearance in the Wynn Gift Shop?! Score! Tons more comfortable than the first Wynn edition.
Bottom Right: Purchased last week, this is my new golfing headwear - replacing an extremely obnoxious straw hat I've worn for the last two years (it signals a new mentality I'm taking to the endeavor known as Golf)


For the record, this was originally a MUCH LONGER post that went through a whole litany of crazy hats I willingly wear.
But... I kinda wanted to focus on visors and might have to get back to it later.

So much to discuss:
More on my Dad's collection of caps from around the world
The death of my Straw Hat
The summer I wore a wool hat every day
Why I was unable to wear a Marquette cap for the longest time

And a story that I need to share involving my very first Bulls cap, the USS Arizona, and a very sad little boy at Pearl Harbor.