Friday, April 23, 2010

What's the dumbest thing you've said recently?

Q: Was it more of a Geek or Nerd thing to say?
A: Regardless, I instantly regretted it and laughed at the same time.

First things first: Kick Tan Laundry got a win on Thursday Night.

Down 3-7, KTL rallied for 5 runs in the bottom half of the 6th [of a 7 inning kickball game].

3 outs later the game ended with Kick Tan Laundry winning 8-7.
I took only a few pictures, the game was too late in the day. If we get an earlier game I will take more pictures.

All 12 members of the team (that were at the game) went out to celebrate the win. Usually someone has to get back to their non-kickball life, but not that night. Sure, the Bulls and Hawks playoff games that night might have been a factor for us all wanting to get to a TV sooner than later - but there was a lot of camaraderie that wasn't going to quit after six and a half innings.

GAME NOTES:
-The game winning "hit" was actually a move I'm calling "the stall" With runners on 2nd and 3rd with two outs, a base hit scored the first run - but when while the kicker was caught in a run down trying to stretch it into a double, another run scored. Both runs counted, the inning was over, but that was all we needed.

-The same teammate who had the game winning RKI successfully executed the first "peg" of the season. In a crucial point of the game, he nailed a runner feet from home plate. Not only preventing another run being scored, but also getting the always elusive third out of an inning.

-Last season's Defensive MVP, due mainly to his excellent pegging skills, slipped during two flys to his post in the outfield. He might be wearing cleats next week, we'll see. He was the happiest we won because he was (wrongly) blaming himself for why we were losing.

-Yours truly had one highlight. While playing my usual position of 1st base I pulled off an unassisted inning ending double play thanks mainly to a coincidentally perfect kick path and an absent minded baserunner.

-Then there was my embarrassing moment of the evening. I had mishandled a throw to first when if I had caught it cleanly it would have been an out. Seeing as how there was another baserunner out there, I wanted to get the ball back to our pitcher quick to stop the play. I got the ball over to her, but for some reason couldn't think of the words, "time out." What did I say? I yelled, "Pause! Pause!" to the umpire. Everyone, both teams, cracked up in laughter. The only thing that's worse to say would have been, "Start button! Start button!"

By the way, did I mention that we won?!