Friday, November 5, 2010

Have you heard the new All Songs 24/7?

If you haven't heard NPR's newly launched All Songs 24/7 streaming music channel, check it out. Well, only if you like the same kind of Indie Rock that I love...

Every day I'm thankful that I can listen to my own music at work. I've been solely an iPod guy while many others plug into Pandora or their XM/Sirius feed thorough their computers. There are a few computer applications/programs I use that can't be muted and my headphone cord is just a tad too short to make a comfortable stretch from the jack to my ears. However, push came to shove when I forgot to charge my iPod and was facing dead silence at work.

Luckily, my backup is my phone - and I was able to finally try out the All Songs 24/7 offering from NPR's app. (note that the same feed is available though the npr.org/allsongs)

The All Songs Considered program turned ten years old recently. The crew behind it gathered every song from their ten years of episodes to provide the content for the 24/7 stream. I've been listening to it for a significant time each work day for the past two weeks and haven't heard a song repeated yet! What I love the best is that it's a lot like if my iPod was on shuffle, with how it seems to play one of my favorites that I happen to own about twice an hour.

This afternoon, for example, it played a song that I remember really digging when it was on the show - but I never ended up buying the song... The below track by Flying Lotus was the musical highlight of the afternoon:

All Songs Considered has been one of my favorite podcasts for the last two plus years. It was an undisputed #1 until recently losing it's top spot to Kevin Pollak's Chat Show, but that's a different story.