Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Do you believe in moral victories?

Q: With a title like that, it must've been a loss?
A: Yup.

Earlier tonight, Conflict Diamond lost 1-6.
Falling us to 2-4 on the year.
To be perfectly honest, it was the most fun I've had all season.

The day started off crappy, as far as the weather in concerned.
Everyone wished it was warmer.
Everyone was afraid of the morning rain.
Many openly doubted that the game would still take place.
I had the weather hotline on near speed dial.

By the time 6:15 pm rolled around, the sun was out and the field was dry.
All these weather factors, among other extraneous motivators, resulted in the team's lowest turnout of players.
This made my responsibility of lineup creation the easiest it was all year.

It was also the first game in which I played the entire time.
Tonight I realized, for the first time, the level of fun my teammates were experiencing this phenomenon of kickball.
Not once did I have to tell someone to sit out an inning.
Not once did I have to move people around to balance playing time.

The feeling was beyond marvelous.
Completely devoid of worry, doubt and second guessing.

As for the game: it's a tough loss to dissect.
We only scored one run, but I feel we kicked the ball better this week (just AT the other team more).

On a personal level, I had my first extra base hit of the year (wiped out by an absent-minded idea to stretch it into a triple)! Also, I had an error free game at first base that saw a little bit of everything (including my first "peg" of a runner and a well executed double play).

Next week is our last "regular season game" before the playoffs start.
I think it's safe to say this entire idea of fielding a kickball team was a great idea.