Monday, September 7, 2009

Who is nominated for an Emmy?

Q: Does anybody still watch TV?

A: Even if you don't, the Emmys may still be worthwhile.



Here is my take on the upcoming Emmy Nominations.
For record, throughout these nominations let me state that I don't believe it's fair that Network-based shows have to compete against Premium-cable shows. However, I don't think The Office would necessarily be better if they had nipples and F Bombs.

Outstanding Comedy Series

"Entourage" (2004) A show I haven't seen in years, thinks it gets overvalued because of how "cool" people like to feel by watching it.

"Family Guy" (1999) A show I used to absolutely love, and have since "fallen away" from by no fault of their own.

"The Flight of the Conchords" (2007) A show in which I whipped through it's first season on DVD and love when other people in a room with me catch a reference - I hope this wins.

"How I Met Your Mother" (2005) Just don't get it. Haven't watched it. I'm sure it's funny. Don't ask me why I don't intend to watch this. Although, it has a nice chance of finding me when it's on syndication.

"The Office" (2005) The last year was a quality rebound year for them. The show has become watchable again. A win for this show will make me smile.

"30 Rock" (2006) People I respect like this show. I have tried, and I guess I have failed. It just doesn't make me laugh. And I don't find it "smart" either. SportsNight was a non-funny smart sitcom I enjoyed... But this program seems forced to me.

"Weeds" (2005) I have seen zero episodes of this program.




Outstanding Drama Series

"Big Love" (2006) I've only seen this show's first season, which was good. I can only assume it's quality is still up there.

"Breaking Bad" (2008) One of my favorite shows out there. Very daring and I will continue to champion it to others - pleading with them to rent it's DVDs.

"Damages" (2007) Another show, like Breaking Bad, in which I've seen every episode. Although I like this show very much, I was surprised to see it nominated. It's just a very glossy, well produced, soap opera.

"Dexter" (2006) [My opinion, and experience, is the same as Big Love]

"House M.D." (2004) People love this show, I understand why, it's just not my flavor. I'm more a fan of large arcs in my dramas over the standard episodic approach (not that there's anything wrong with that).

"Lost" (2004) This is the show I hope and want to win. This is the show I am most waiting to return.

"Mad Men" (2007) Give it a rest.


Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

Alec Baldwin for "30 Rock" (2006) Give it a rest.

Steve Carell for "The Office" (2005) Deserving.

Jemaine Clement for "The Flight of the Conchords" (2007) Why did they single out him?

Jim Parsons for "The Big Bang Theory" (2007) Really? If they say so.

Tony Shalhoub for "Monk" (2002) Here's the sympathy vote for a show's last season.

Charlie Sheen for "Two and a Half Men" (2003) Can you get negative votes for those Hanes ads?

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series

Simon Baker for "The Mentalist" (2008) A win here will get this show on my NetFlix queue.

Gabriel Byrne for "In Treatment" (2008) Hoping he doesn't win, because a win will get this show on my NetFlix queue.

Bryan Cranston for "Breaking Bad" (2008) Here's my vote.

Michael C. Hall for "Dexter" (2006) Won't be able to argue against this.

Jon Hamm for "Mad Men" (2007) Please stop.

Hugh Laurie for "House M.D." (2004) If this wins, let's hope for a YouTubeable speech to make it worthwhile.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

I HAVE SEEN NONE OF THESE PERFORMANCES!

Tina Fey for "30 Rock" (2006)

Sarah Silverman for "The Sarah Silverman Program." (2007)


Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series

Glenn Close for "Damages" (2007) I love the show, but she's not even the best in the cast. (I'm rooting for Rose Byrne in the "supporting" category)

Sally Field for "Brothers & Sisters" (2006) For reasons I can't post, I have a problem with Sally Field.

Holly Hunter for "Saving Grace" (2007) They can simultaneously award her the Emmy with the Nobel Peace Prize and it would still not make me want to watch this show - sorry.

Elisabeth Moss for "Mad Men" (2007) Can someone give me 4 reasons that don't involve style over substance for this show to be applauded this loudly?

Kyra Sedgwick for "The Closer" (2005) I hear she's good, very good...