Thursday, March 12, 2009

Do you know how to hijack a friend?

Q. Who did I once ask if they spiritually ever existed?
A. B.T.B.

(For Lent, I've decided to write 40 posts about people I love / made me who I am / thankful to know / appreciate)

The subject of today's post, BTB, is a very close friend of SAS (the subject of yesterday's post). BTB visited SAS one night during our first year at school - it is when I first met him. As my sister will tell you, I have a long history of meeting many friends through other friends, however I rarely introduce my friends to other circles. This phenomenon is tough to explain, and not important to the message I need to convey.

I'm happy that I can now consider BTB an actual friend - not a "friend of a friend." The following is one of my most favorite experiences with him - and I think might be considered the turning point of our friendship.

BTB lives near a famous body of water that has a history of flooding. Last fall, when checking flood levels online, that will eventually mandate him to evacuate his apartment, an alert on his computer notified him that the Chicago Cubs at Houston Astros game (canceled due to Hurricane Ike) was rescheduled for play in Milwaukee's Miller Park. Out of impulse, and my personal opinion of refusing to surrender to the misery the flooding was impeding on his life, he bought a pair of tickets.

The following day, as he was over at my place watching the Bear game (he's quite the game day contributor by the way) and mentioned his extra ticket. This was probably the first significant event the two of us went to - without having SAS there. A few hours after the Bear game, we were on our way to Milwaukee.

Carlos Zambrano threw a no-hitter.
I was there.
In a stadium nearly full.
All attendees didn't know they would be there 24 hours earlier.
Everyone felt happy to be there.
It was one of the more pure sports moments I have ever experienced.
Something I'm never going to forget.

I thank him for including me in that night.
I'm thankful he's not just a friend of a friend.
It's really tough to find good friends the later you get in life.
And BTB is a great example that proves it can still happen.