Monday, March 23, 2009

Who makes the holidays more fun?

Q. Who makes my sister and I look like just upstanding citizens of societ?
A. The H Family

(For Lent, I've decided to write 40 posts about people I love / made me who I am / thankful to know / appreciate)

For the sake of fairness, I need to consolidate the posts of this week. I want to make special mention of the entire extended family that has my Mom's sister at the top of the tree.

This family has often invited ours to their home in middle Indiana for some of the best Christmases in my childhood's memory. However, I must admit that it has a separate feel as of late. Our family has pretty much stayed static: My two parents, my sister and me. That's it. However - them - they now have spouses and kids... A lot of kids. My aunt is a grandmother many times over.

It's good to have family you can look up to. Although I know I won't have the fiscal means to give the kind of gifts they give my Aunt - I can always go to them for advice. They have a multitude of upper level degrees from famous institutions. I'm proud to have cousins as smart as them.

Finally, it's nice to see my Mom and her sister together. Two old school schoolteachers that share a rich common memory and upbringing. My Mom is never more comfortable than when she's with her older sister (a feeling I know very well indeed).