Monday, March 2, 2009

Who's got a sharpstootin' Mom?

Q. Who is five-feet-three inches of power capable of wielding a trash can as well as a rifle?
A. Mrs. B

(For Lent, I've decided to write 40 posts about people I love / made me who I am / thankful to know / appreciate)

My last post's subject, Mr. B, is the husband of today's subject. They are the head of a family very close to my own. I'm thankful to be on "can show up whenever I feel like it" terms in that household. I'll admit, that I usually plan on showing up during meal times (Mrs. B is an excellent cook).

The following events were traumatic then, but have been sources of perpetual comedy ever since:
She once busted her garage door, and asked for my Father's protection against her husband. (My Dad's response: "You're the one holding the hammer, you don't need my protection.")
She once backed over my sweet Huffy bike with her minivan (my family refused to accept money for my newer - more "boss" bike)
She was a member of the NRA in her youth and has multiple awards for marksmanship.
She once picked up a kitchen trash can, to beat it against the kitchen table, in order to get her children to listen to her (It successfully stopped the current conversation - but resulted in uproarious laughter)
She designed the dress she wore to her daughter's wedding.

I could go on - the point is - she's one of the more interesting people I know... One of the people I'm most glad to know.