Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Who has the best baseball mind I know?

Q. Who's another example of someone younger than me in years, and miles more mature?
A. M.C.

(For Lent, I've decided to write 40 posts about people I love / made me who I am / thankful to know / appreciate)

I play basketball with M.C. I met him when he joined our parish with his (then) fiancee. She was in the process of converting to Catholicism, my sister was her sponsor. My sister is now the godmother to their first child.

This is the first time my sister has been a godparent. Lord knows she's one of the best capable for such a role - and that same Lord realizes that she shouldn't have to wait until your younger brother (if ever) gets an offspring.

M.C. deserves all the credit for turning our weekly basketball night at our church into a vessel for better. Not wanting to charge money for use of the gym, we all bring in an item for the food pantry. I'm not a fan of this term, but it's a small example of paying it forward. I feel guilty for not developing this idea myself. I work amidst mountains of food samples that eventually find less than deserving homes.

This man, is just one of many I hang around hoping I can learn to be a better person through proximity.