Friday, March 20, 2009

Who is my honorary Aunt?

Q. Is your Mom's cousin your first-cousin-once-removed?
A. E.M.

(For Lent, I've decided to write 40 posts about people I love / made me who I am / thankful to know / appreciate)

My grandmother, and E.M.'s mother, are sisters - which makes my Mom and E.M. cousins. We would frequently have E.M. & Co. over at our house when our Grandmother was still alive - to allow the two upper matriarchs spend more time at the end of theirs.

From an outsider perspective, my sister and I treated E.M. with as much respect as an aunt - but we always just called her E. It's a nice relationship, unique in our extended families.

E. wrote me an e-mail, inviting me to her home for Easter dinner. It's these extra pieces of effort that makes me love her. Glad that she sees me as an honorary nephew. Of course I'm going with my family - and I don't have any decision making power, but it's a kind gesture nonetheless...

(I'm reading what I'm writing above - and I've realized that I'm not effectively detailing why E.M. is worthy of a post... But in my heart, there doesn't need to be any explanation)