Monday, March 9, 2009

Who is someone that needs to be met to understand?

Q. Who's the only person to survive having me as a roommate?
A. "B.H."

(For Lent, I've decided to write 40 posts about people I love / made me who I am / thankful to know / appreciate)

I met B very early into my time at Marquette University. We spent a lot of time playing a hockey video game on his Gateway computer. I always chose the Philly Flyers because I liked Eric Lindros. B would always select the Dallas Stars because he liked Mike Modano. We would play 7 game series after 7 game series. I honestly don't ever remember winning a series. I did win games, but he would always win in either 6 or maybe 7 games.

The next year we were roommates, and the rest is history...

Of course there are tons of other stories to share, but I like looking back to those late nights in McCormick Hall, spent on a very uncomfortable wooden desk chair, leaning forward in locked concentration on a 15 inch monitor. That was pure. That was real. That was how simple my life once was...

B now owns a condo about an hour away. I also own a condo. Neither of us have roomates. However, I'm glad that he makes the effort to travel up here to watch Bear games. Soon, if Vegas August works out, I may get a PS3. The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to buy a hockey video game.