Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Whose wedding almost made me cry?

Q. Who is not my younger sister, yet feels like an older sister?
A. K.B.

(For Lent, I've decided to write 40 posts about people I love / made me who I am / thankful to know / appreciate)

For those scoring at home, this will be the third (of an eventual 5 straight) posts dedicated to the same nuclear family based in Prospect Heights. K is the oldest of the three kids.

Although she's a year younger than I, she's always been more mature. I remember helping move her into an campus apartment during college. She had place mats, candlestick holders, and even a napkin cozy. At the same time, I had built a nightstand entirely out of extra and unclaimed phone books.

I was touched and honored when she asked me to play a role in her wedding. Maybe I'll be able to return the gratitude.